This is an adaptation of a recipe from one of my vintage Disney cookbooks. My brother & sister in law are huge fans of the Polynesian Hotel at DisneyWorld and I wanted to give them a little taste of something they love from a place they have great memories of.
My version of the recipe mixes the quantities and amends the dressing. I'm not one for the oversweet salads. The pears give enough of a sugary hit without too much in the dressing.
Here's a guide to what you'll need for a starter / side salad for 8-10 people.
- 2 x bags of spring mix salad
- a cup of crumbled blue cheese (I used Gorgonzola)
- 1/2 cup of smoked almonds chopped
- 1/2 a red onion thinly sliced
- 3 ripe pears (whatever's seasonal) cored & thinly sliced
For the dressing: 1/3 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice, 2 tbs Japanese rice vinegar, salt & pepper, 1/4 cup of canola oil. (you can add a teaspoon of sugar if you like a sweeter result).
Method - What method? Compose salad, whisk dressing and serve on side.