Monday, September 1, 2008

Polynesian Luau Salad


This is an adaptation of a recipe from one of my vintage Disney cookbooks. My brother & sister in law are huge fans of the Polynesian Hotel at DisneyWorld and I wanted to give them a little taste of something they love from a place they have great memories of.




My version of the recipe mixes the quantities and amends the dressing. I'm not one for the oversweet salads. The pears give enough of a sugary hit without too much in the dressing.


Here's a guide to what you'll need for a starter / side salad for 8-10 people.


Recipe Ingredients

  • 2 x bags of spring mix salad

  • a cup of crumbled blue cheese (I used Gorgonzola)

  • 1/2 cup of smoked almonds chopped

  • 1/2 a red onion thinly sliced

  • 3 ripe pears (whatever's seasonal) cored & thinly sliced



For the dressing: 1/3 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice, 2 tbs Japanese rice vinegar, salt & pepper, 1/4 cup of canola oil. (you can add a teaspoon of sugar if you like a sweeter result).




Method - What method? Compose salad, whisk dressing and serve on side.

No comments: