Thursday, July 3, 2008

Brio Tuscan Grille, The Gardens Mall




I think we've been to the mall more this past week than in the past year! Something about long distance travel and knowing you're going to one of the most overpriced towns in the world that makes you stock up before you leave!


Last night we made a more upmarket pitstop at Brio Tuscan Grille. We've done the lunch thing there several times successfully but on this occasion our visit fell into the dinner category. More expensive. Considerably. Lets not forget this is the Mall.


The server delivered warm bread and a rosemary flatbread which was a nice touch; drinks were ordered and entrees put in: Pasta Fra Diavolo $14.95 for Dr. Dave, Pasta Brio $14.95 for me and Mia NEEDED a kids pizza. Both pastas seemed to have been made with the same base of creamy tomato sauce with the diavolo kicked up with some spicy heat and green onions. The Brio had roasted red peppers in the sauce and mushrooms. I went milder as I was sharing with Ceci; she's adventurous but at 10 months draws the line at chili! Both had the signature wood roasted chicken added. There was nothing offensive in either dish, nothing amazing flavorwise either and please get rid of the ridiculous herb garnish to the plate's edges; there's nothing worse than superfluous greenery, it looked like lawn clippings!
The service was on the iffy side too; the waiter was very swift to ask if I wanted another glass of wine at $8.95 *I didn't!* yet had to be repeatedly asked for more soft drinks. A simple error? C'est possible. I shan't be returning for dinner again. Why would you? Its considerably more expensive than lunch and the menu doesn't have my favorite items such as the superb 'oak roasted pulled chicken salad' on at night anyhow. Next time I'm in the mood for a $15 pasta I'm going to Vic & Angelos.

No comments: