Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Easy Blueberry Pie




I'm currently on countdown to a summer trip back to my homeland and I can't wait! Never mind the friends and family, what about the real bacon, decent sausages & Cadburys fruit & nut? Oh, and the pie & mash, the Curry, the Chinese, the kebabs, and the prawn cocktail crisps (that's just lunch!)


In preparation for this trip across the pond I am in the process of eating everything in my kitchen that won't be desirable on my return. Frozen foods fall into this category, hence a bag of frozen blueberries in this pitifully easy pie. It doesn't even merit a structured recipe; the ingredients are few and the preparation a child could do! Throw together as follows: 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry (what did I buy those for in the first place?) large can of blueberry pie filling, 1 bag of frozen blueberries (never did make that smoothie!). Using the frozen (or fresh) blueberries along with the pie filling ensures that its not oversweet or cloying. Get the oven really hot 450 degrees before putting the pie in, then turn it down to 375 after 10 minutes and bake for around 15 minutes more. There's nothing worse than soggy pastry on the bottom of a pie. I brush the top with egg and sprinkle with sugar before baking to get that brown crunchy top.


Question? What can I do with a carton of baby formula, 6 eggs & some frozen Shrek waffles?!!

No comments: