Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Beef in Beaujolais


I am neither a wine buff or a wine snob. I can differentiate colors of course and grapes occasionally but amateur sommelier I am NOT. This said, even I know that you don't lay down a beaujolais nouveau 2006! Not so my husband. I was reorganizing our humble rack on Sunday night and came across a dusty bottle of his 'not so nouveau'. I popped the cork, half expecting it to crumble, poured a glass and had a cautious swig. I have to say it had lost very little of its fruity appeal in the aging process, however, erring on the side of caution I repurposed the remaining three quarters of a bottle and a little Beef in Beaujolais was born.


Ingredients


3lbs of lean stewing/braising beef in chunks

1 large onion sliced

4 cloves garlic chopped

1 heaped tablespoon of herbes de provence

a large handful of chopped or baby carrots

3/4 bottle beaujolais





Directions


  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

  2. In a heavy casserole dish (I favor Le Creuset for looks and durability) heat 2 tbs vegetable oil and sweat the onions, garlic & carrots.

  3. Toss the meat in all purpose flour seasoned with salt & pepper and add to the pot until just turning brown at the edges.

  4. Add the wine and place in oven for around 4 hours. Check and stir after 2 hours.


After 4 hours the dish will be reduced, (hence the appearance of my pot) the sauce syrupy and the meat falling apart. This will serve at least 4-6.



No comments: