A distinct air of malady has invaded my usually healthy home. Dr. Dave has been struck with a mystery condition he describes as a combination of emphysema, pneumonia and whooping cough. If you've ever had any of these conditions, suffice to say its not as bad as his. Being raised with the English National Health Service I'd say he has a bit of a dry cough, however, nurturing wife that I am I pulled out my soup tureen to prepare his favorite restorative broth. Serves 4 at least.
2 skinless chicken breasts cut into small pieces
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 cup of celery chopped
1 cup carrots chopped
1 large carton of chicken broth (or homemade if you're organized and freeze such things)
1tbs olive oil (not extra virgin)
3 cups of uncooked noodles (I used Ronzoni Wholeweat Healthy Harvest)
- Heat 1 tbs of olive oil over a medium heat and gently fry the onions, celery and garlic until translucent but not brown.
- Add the chicken and stir until opaque.
- Pour in the broth and simmer until the vegetables are soft and the chicken cooked through.
- 5-7 minutes before you want to serve, add the egg noodles.
- Wait patiently for spring to return to step.
Trust me tip: If you're looking for a way to smuggle extra wholegrain into someone, these noodles are almost undetectable as brown when cooked in this soup.