Friday, June 20, 2008

California Pizza Kitchen, Gardens Mall






A miserable Friday had me out of the kitchen and into the Gardens Mall today and a pitstop at the faithful old California Pizza Kitchen. At prices akin to some of the foodcourt places its a no brainer to come here and take advantage of the big tables, stroller space and friendly service. They also serve a mean Kendall Jackson which is something chick-fil-ay can't compete with!


I went for my old favorite the 'original chopped salad' in a half portion (whole to a normal person). A saintly, fresh mix of leaves, salami, turkey, basil, tomatoes and mozzarella tossed in a light vinaigrette. I love this salad, its a heck of alot of chopping that I don't have to do and its incredibly flavorsome to boot. Dr. Dave veered from his usual 'jerk chicken pizza' to the 'Thai chicken pizza' which is quite a departure for him as he is such a devotee of the jerk chicken here, however, there were no complaints and he finished the lot. I'm guessing it was the peanut and ginger marinade that justified the 'Thai' moniker but the carrot was definitely misplaced. I have to say I'm not such a fan of these adventurous pizza combinations. I've travelled the length and breadth of Italy and never encountered anything so off the wall as stand alone dishes served atop a pizza. Thai chicken; delicious, Pear & Gorgonzola salad; yum... but on a pizza? hmmm.... Yet strangely, if I leave my Euro pizza snobbery at the door and concentrate on taste alone then CPK works. Its not pizza as I know it but however you slice it they offer something for everyone, even me.


No comments: